A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Join the Discord!
ZeldaRL is a roguelike fangame based on the "Legend of Zelda" videogame series.
In the game you, soon to be known as the Hero of Worlds, are called from a dream into a quest to save the dying world of Hyrule by traveling to the ancient dungeons and retrieving the magical canes. In your quest, you will find powerful items that will aid you and will get to travel to other worlds in order to save them and Hyrule.
- Procedurally generated Zelda-like dungeons and overworld.
- A quest to retrieve the ancient canes from the dungeons
- Zelda stuff like hearts, rupees, enemies, and prizes in the dungeons
- Zelda midi music
- No experience Points
- Simplified Command Set
- No permadeath (but heavy permanent failure if you die)
- Press ? at any time for help
- Move using directional arrows, vi keys, or numpad
- Leave your house and find the three temples and their rewards
- Attack using 'a' + direction or bumping your enemies.
- Block ranged attacks with your shield by facing toward the enemies.
- Use artifacts using 'M'
The initial version of this game (0.7DRL) was released for the 2007 7DRL programming contest. (It was actually made over the span of 3 days!).
In 2022, 15 years after the initial release, development was resumed with the intent of making the game more accessible and fun, thus v0.8 came to be.
In 2023, additional development was done.
- Version 0.7DRL - March 17, 2007
- Version 0.71 - March 20, 2007
- Fixed critical exploits
- Add much better SFX
- Add potions as prizes inside the dungeons
- Separated prologue mode and new game
- Small bugfixes
- Version 0.72 - March 24, 2007
- Fixed critical save bug
- Fixed critical bug on dungeon generation producing uncrossable layouts
- Fixed some-bosses-not-dropping-keys bug
- Fixed exploit on dungeon doors
- Mountains and Water are no longer traversable
- Minor UI Changes
- Version 0.72a - March 28, 2007
- Activates Swing-based display mode
- Version 0.8 - April 8, 2022
- Remove permadeath! the player will instead respawn in the last known safe location losing a whole Heart container.
- Run by default using the Swing console mode.
- Resize font when window size changes in Swing Console mode.
- Add support for win 64bit libjcurses.
- Change appearance for shallow water
- Version 0.8.1 - August 16, 2022
- Fix minor bugs with Messages log in Swing mode.
- Add vi-keys movement (useful for laptops).
- Add 's' as keybinding for "self" (useful for laptops).
- Change Game Over message since it's no longer game over.
- Improve overworld tiles
- Version 0.9.0 - May 14, 2023
- Balancing tweaks (make it less frustrating)
- Improved visuals
- Fix bug preventing using the shield
- Block ranged attacks always based on last movement direction
- Full changelog
- Version 0.10.0 - May 15, 2023
- Add new weapons, armor, shields, and place them in the dungeons
- Add variability to combat via random damage and defense ranges.
- Remove dungeon doors
- Change the appearance of trees for readability
- Play get GFX and show items description the first time you pick it up
- Only add blood if not blocked
- Fix/update texts in the ending
Click download now to get access to the following files:
- ZeldaRL: Weapons of the Hylian [0.10.0]22 days ago
- ZeldaRL: Balance of the Kingdom [0.9.0]24 days ago
- ZeldaRL v0.8.1Aug 16, 2022